Tuesday 27 February 2007

Lack Of Judgement

25 and 26 February – For some reason had tentative plans to go down to a dub festival at Bicentennial Park on Sunday – against better judgement (because it was showering rather substantially and I don’t really like dub) rode down through Glebe with a housemate for company but only the hard core dubbers had decided brave the rain and I didn’t feel that staying would serve any real purpose.  Watched the Tropfest films in the afternoon which seemed to be as good as the last crop (ie not very) although the winner was good in a Don Hertzfeldian kind of way.  Evening was spent eating overpriced Greek food and watching an under priced Little Children – very good film in most respects although a tad long.  Made the mistake of a herbal remedy for sleep assistance which backfired in a big way as I didn’t really wake up until 11am on Monday (I was up and working at 9 but full consciousness took a while to arrive).  A smooth morning run helped a little but didn’t do much to remedy the slowness of the rest of the day – intermittent rain kept me from notching up any speed records but I did get a little big ass sammich which is always welcome.  Couldn’t decide whether I should stay in to watch the Academy Awards or actually go to the movies -  that the only movie on at an acceptable timeslot was ‘Music and Lyrics’ should have made the decision particularly easy but the rom com beckoned and I took the bait.  Eminently forgettable but apparently Hugh Grant does have some modicum of musical talent, pity the director did not.  Unlike Martin Scorsese who finally got the recognition he deserved – in fact, from what I saw of the Awards (the only award show I deign worthy of watching) I was pretty happy with most of the results with some exceptions – Children of Men and Our Cate? were gypped.  They’ll never get it right until they abandon the practice of having the academy nominate and elect the winners and let it be arbitrarily decided by me.

No comments: