Monday 12 February 2007

Bad Things Come In Threes

12 February – Well, the rains came to punish me for spilling the desiccated coconut all over the forecourt.  When resetting my clock after yesterday’s race I’d gotten the ante-meridian and post-meridian mixed up and was woken up by the sun rather than my alarm clock.  Still had plenty of time but did find myself rushing out the door right into buckets of rain.  On the way in I felt it was unusually bright and I realised I’d left my yellow sunglasses at home – I was only a few minutes gone but in the current weather it seemed like too much trouble to go back. It was only when I walked into the first elevator of the day and I looked at the mirror did I realise I’d also forgotten my helmet. Never done that before.  As it was I had to get my run done straight away and I tried to make a few phone calls to try to organise a trip back home without anyone noticing but the rain had also fried my telephone meaning phoning was sporadic at best and completely non functional later on.  Managed to sort it out and fetch my helmet but was continually playing catch-up until about 2:30 in the afternoon because the work that was assigned to me continually bounced back.  Weather occasionally eased but kept on coming back with a vengeance – the streets were like ice rinks and I was constantly on the verge of having the bike slide out from under me – crashed a total of three times, very minor and harmless but completely frustrating.  Took ages to collect myself in evening – far too much company in house and was getting phone calls from customers (I’m just the messenger, lady) all the way until dark.  If you don’t answer your phone when I’m there at 6 don’t expect me to come back at 7 ...  

No comments: