Sunday 3 June 2007

Pinched And Punched

1 and 2 June – Maybe it was a lack of breakfast and luncheon materials or maybe it was something in the “herbal” additions I ingested on the morning of the new month but I was feeling extremely jumpy all day which is really not the kind of sense of self that one wants on any day, let alone a day where certain meetings are to be had.  Managed to throw off some of the mental and physical nausea but did not get a good feeling about the conclusive meeting of the day.  My Corporatese is somewhat lacking due to a lack of exposure but I can bulls**t with the best of them and I was certainly challenged to bring those old skills to the fore on Friday afternoon.  There’s always a slight sense of foreboding when one comes into a potential change of environment which quickly evaporates once one realises the general level of intelligence in any working environment (I don’t want to sound too arrogant as certain individuals in my life have occasionally described me but it’s pretty much true).  After this and some logistical errors in a rendezvous (the mobile phone has done more to hinder physical meet ups than just about any other technical device in the history of the world I believe) finally found myself at the Sydney Theatre to see David Marr’s new book launch. Most pleased that one of the themes of his speech (he’s a very good speaker) seemed to be about the botched illegal screening of ‘Ken Park’ that Margaret Pommeranz organised several years ago – I was one of the many present at that attempted screening which was thwarted by Australia’s finest boys (and girls) in blue although I did manage to see it a few weeks later.  And, whilst I am against censorship of any kind if ever there was a film that did necessitate censorship then ‘Ken Park’ would be it.  That film, to me, seemed made just to push the boundaries of taste and to this day I’m yet to realise its artistic merit.  An emotional night at pub (Lord Nelson – notable for it being the site of my first legal drink and also my last real night out in Sydney before the Canadian trip [and a rather cool hook up at the time]) which resolved itself rather well but didn’t do much for a certain individual’s feeling of well being the next day (it’s called a hangover baby, you get one when you drink champagne and dance all night under electric candlelight).  Was very happy to find a new free hotspot in North Sydney on Saturday morning (not that I’m that desperate for them these days but it’s always good to find them).  Can’t really remember what took up the balance of the afternoon save to say that foods were consumed and time was utilised in a somewhat effective manner I think but eventually drove (drove???) to the city for a few more SWF events including seeing a rather stilted interview with Don Watson (a character I don’t know a hell of a lot about) but this was followed by a conversation with the absolutely brilliant Richard Dawkins (who was speaking with Robyn Williams), definitely disappointed by the fact that it was a video hook up (of which I expected) but he’s such a nice guy.  Sure, he’s a little bit arrogant but infinitely less so than the characters he pits himself against and the difference between them and him is that he can justify his position and they can’t.  Dinner at Wagamamas (blurgh) followed by going away drinks at the American Club for some character who I really just don’t get but I can’t be expected to understand everyone, can I?

No comments: