Thursday 29 March 2007

Vexing

28 and 29 March – Was relatively disturbed throughout Wednesday with very distracting thoughts.  Made me a bit worried that I was going to be done in whilst deeply contemplating issues when I should have been concentrating on avoiding that GIANT F**KING BUS THAT I’M JUST ABOUT TO RUN INTO!!!!  New operator’s ability to route is still frustratingly inefficient and there are complaints coming from all corners – in fact, on Thursday I believe he may have had a bit of a meltdown – potentially with the stress of the work but possibly due to the drubbing he may be receiving from certain members of the crew.  End of Wednesday was okay – was sent over at the very end of the day to North Sydney which is always a big no-no, especially when you’re the late guy who’s supposed to service the city.  I was heading over that way afterwards anyway so being on that side wasn’t too bad but for the next 40m I played a nervous waiting game – one of the very few times when I really, really, really do not want any work to come my way.  Hermes delivered and I was saved a couple of excessive bridge hops (not really that far but long enough at the end of the day to be unwanted).  On my way to work in the morning I was pleasantly rolling down Lavender St towards the bridge when I found myself behind a couple of buses when I heard a rattling followed by a screech as my chain freed itself from its sprockets – suddenly finding myself without most of my stopping power I clamped the handbrake and it just skittered across the wheel – slowing but not stopping – suddenly the wheels locked up as the chain wrapped itself around the crank tightening it over the axle and not doing itself any good what so ever.   Did stop but was screwed because the chain had been so far twisted that it broke.  Luckily, the far too helpful Paul from Cranks a relatively short run up the hill was there to fix the whole thing (free of charge!) in less than the time than it took me to smoke a cigarette and suck down a little coffee.  Late shift was the first totally hectic one I’ve had in ages – not that many jobs but shockingly routed, ridiculously under supported and involved lengthy phone calls and two cross town trips at speed through total rush hour – I hate this job.  I love this job.

No comments: