Saturday 10 March 2007

Still Young

8 and 9 March – international women’s day was only seemingly observed at one place in Sydney today – the Voodoo café at 80 Mount St was giving away a free coffee to any member of this brotherhood who bought some food, unfortunately my protestation that I was a woman inside didn’t get me a freebie.  A stop and start morning was notable mainly for the fact that I got my first customer complaint ever today.  I went in to the reception – a place we rarely service and well known for their usual crapness (not enough information on the data, packages never properly labelled and not even wrapped or bound) and was unsurprised when she dumped a huge blank folder on the desk – do you have an envelope and label for it? I asked, somewhat impatiently perhaps – No, we don’t have anything for this size) - I was in my usual rush and to express my exasperation at their usual crapness I left without saying anything (I like to think that I am never rude to customers ever but when I want to express my displeasure I’m curt).  In any event, I felt I might have been a little too curt for this particular receptionist and my feelings were proved true when I got a call at my next pickup asking ‘What happened at 10 Quay?’ - I don’t think it’s going to affect my courier career too negatively though.  In any event I didn’t want to dwell on that event as birthday celebrations at a relatively local Lebanese restaurant were to be had – a fine turnout and pretty decent food with a nice atmosphere (the hookah pipe at the end was a particularly nice touch).  
On the actual day of the birthday itself the pancakes were up to scratch (and made from scratch) and were followed by a relatively crap day with some very good runs and very distant runs and a bunch of other stuff in between.  Another poker night, this time at the Scotsman’s house, turned out to be relatively financially neutral (I’ve got to stop going all in at the wrong moment) - the usual clashes were had but that’s really part of the entertainment after all.

No comments: