Thursday 5 April 2007

A Night With The Fanboys

5 April – A potentially ill conceived journey out to the Imax cinema to see the midnight screening of the 300 – great story but execution might have been a little heavy on the loin cloths and fake six-packs – also, I’m not certain that Imax is really the best place to see a feature film especially at midnight – neck craning from one side to the other trying to follow the dialogue and action but hey, it’s been an age since I’ve done the opening screening and sometimes it just has to be done.  However, considering that this meant a maximum of 4 hours sleep ensured that the eagerly awaited Suit Day was always going to be a struggle.  Had been looking forward to breaking out the old corporate gear for ages and was very well presented in a sombre grey three button single breasted suit with a striped shirt, silver cufflinks and a blue tie with red spots – completed the ensemble with black slip on loafers (a key ingredient in making me indistinguishable from your typical office drone).  Not sure exactly of the point of Suit Day but it’s the day when the couriers wear suits – partially a reverse mufti day but there was the potential for mischief by being able to use the proper entrances for several of the CBD buildings where we’re usually forced to use the servant’s entrance.  However, apart from getting quite a few admiring comments from various receptionists and mail room boys I found on several occasions customers were very reluctant to give me the pickups – who the hell is this besuited fellow trying to steal my letter???  At the Gateway, one of the most ridiculous buildings in town – we have to enter via the loading dock then take the goods lift to the foyer where we wander around as we please (there are three other lift wells to access the suites) - the only place we’re not allowed to be are the entrances from the street or the food court – I’ve even been in a protracted email battle with the building manager to change it and who should order a delivery but the building managers themselves – very suspicious receptionist demanded to know why I was wearing a suit that day (so I can get in the front door of buildings like these ... Ma’am!) - little disaster of a misplaced envelope – knew exactly where it was but couldn’t be found when I went to retrieve and ended up backtracking halfway across town in a vain attempt to find it, being badgered by three different levels of management at the office about what happened – last pickup of the day was where I’d left it and I decided to give it one more shot and lo and behold there it was – however, nobody was there to celebrate my good fortune as everyone at the base seemed to have gone home.  Well, I was happy about it anyway.

No comments: