Monday 23 April 2007

The Blasphemer

22 and 23 April – A much of a muchness for some of the day before we eventually headed to the SCG so that we could see some Rockin’ for Our Rights in the anti-IR protest/concert being held there.  Got there rather late so missed most of it and what bands we did see played two songs each which was great if the band was crap but disappointing if you wanted to see some more of them.  Not really sure of my presence at the protest considering I don’t belong to a union and I don’t really seem to suffer from the new IR laws nor will I benefit from the proposed reforms to said laws – considering the the life of the immortal class is not really one of the better protected industries in the world (although it gives me a chip on my shoulder and sometimes I like having that hole).  Drank a bit and almost fell asleep watching a movie.  Did get a nasty feeling from the bright flashes of lightning that I could see out my window but the rains were just a little blattering so didn’t pay it too much mind.  Upon waking on Monday morning to the blasting of heavenly sent buckets I did start to regret opening my eyes but luckily for me doing the late start by the time I rolled out of the house most of the rain had stopped and there was just the occasional drizzle.  Nothing terribly taxing throughout the day but the wet made everything completely slick and I was sliding all over the place: lane splitting and loading docks caused the most trouble with some nasty near misses and could have beens making me wonder, out aloud, whether all this could drive a boy back to the corporate world ...  That was a mistake because I said it out aloud to B-Rad who accused me of blasphemy and proceeded to tell all and sunder my heretic rantings.  Twas miserable and I had a moment of jovial weakness – and I would like to see those who mocked me actually experience the real wet.  Until you have done the west coast Canadian winter you haven’t really lived.  All was a little crap throughout the day but totally tolerable and it would have remained that way had I not been riding down George St at the end of the day and had a car decide that my lane was better than his lane and he might just have it - knocked over and sustained some very nasty lacerations to my jacket (not to mention myself) - what a way to end the day.  Frantically tried to do stuff in the evening before entertaining the maternal unit in the depths of Redfern and then just licked my wounds hoping that the saliva had some antiseptic properties.

No comments: