Friday 5 August 2005

Unplanned night

After the trek, despite it not being very hard, I did just want to have a bit of a nap. Took me a few minutes to find a suitably cheap guesthouse and then I went to find something to eat. After eating something with way too much MSG in it I wandered back to the hotel and was accosted by a very nice woman who told me of her pub round the corner that had live music. Thinking that this would be a nice way to spend a few hours I headed in the vague direction of it (i think, i'm still getting lost around Chang Mai) but found myself walking past Marcel and Sander,s hotel (it's a small town) and Laura and Marlocs happened to be in the courtyard drinking beer with yet another Dutch couple, Susan and ... His name escapes me. They called me over and convinced me to come to 'Bubbles', one of the more respectable discotheques in Chang Mai, indeed in Thailand. Marcel and Sander turned up and we had a tearful reunion, at our last meeting having pledged to catch uo some time again in Amsterdam, sorry, Holland (apparently there's more than one city in that country). Eventually six of us took a single tuk tuk to the nightclub, undercarriage constantly scraping the road every time there was a bump. I was not exactly wearing proper clubbing attire. For one thing I didn't bring anything with me that would be suitable and most of my clothes were in the laundy anyway. However, jungle stained board shorts and sandles don't seem to bother the bouncers at Bubbles, and although it seemed quite an upmarket club I was probably (hopefully) not the worst dressed person there. We had an enjoyable night of dancing before the club closed at 2 or 3am. Frtunately i'd bumped into Gimi, a Liverpudlian from my old guest house who'd told me that 'Spicy' was the place to be after Bubble closed. Spicy turned out to be an absolutely claustrophobic hellhole close to Moon Muang Rd. Some brief attempts at a drink and dancing resulted in the Dutch deciding it would be a night with me n close pursuit. I also had a bit of a war to find some water to rinse my contacts from, had to buy it from a very snooty hotel and even after charging me not twice, not twce but four times the normnal price also decidsed that they wouldn't lelt me remove it from the premises. Eventually sorted out at great pain and expense (about a dollar). Saw one interesting thing tho, a gentle old man was going for his morning constitutional whilst it was still daRK (4am). Probably the only time that it's not going to melt you down to your base elements.
Am not looking forward to Wat seeking toimorrow.
Ps - at my new guesthouse it appears that somebody has left behind a copy of 'the time traveller's wife', 'the' book of 2004. I'd desperately been looking for an electronic version to no avail and had also searched the second hand bookshelves with a similar result. I've taken to reading it in the common area until someone comes and claims it but it looks like it might become a temporary possession of mine. I have to read it quick because i've started to have my piers anthony interest rekindled by the recent discovery of the electronic versions of his acclaimed Cluster series.
Pps - also had a banaka rottee after dinner tonight. Very, very nice. Tastes just like the pancakes mum used to make, back when she used to make pancakes for me. Which has been a while when you come to think of I. So, mum, if you't re reading this, you know what you need to get in place before my eventual return.

No comments: