Wednesday 24 August 2005

Under The Sea

Thought that while I was here I might as well do a PAI dive course - much cheaper over here than in Oz and Vietnam is cheaper still than Thailand. Checked out a few options and went with one that seems fairly reputable (they're accredited anyway). Was given a book and made to watch a very long but probably useful video for all of the theory (although near the end the company sticks in a bit about having to buy equipment and plan a few diving trips - otherwise you'll lose interest in diving and it will be YOUR fault). Then, next day, met them at the shop and they took me and a bunch of others out to a boat and into the open water. I was lucky enough to have nobody else doing the course with me so it was just me and Yiap (who seems to be a consumate professional, I hope he really is) - we went over a few things with the equipment and then tested my swimming ability (i had a lot of difficulty swimming around the boat four times but managed to pass) and then we suited up and jumped in. First we snorkelled out to some shallows over a line of coral full of lots of colourful fish - got away from the others and then went over various skills and bits and pieces - how to use the regulator, floating, sinking, hovering, etc ... It wasn't too hard - didn't have any major issues although hovering was a bit hard - I tended to flap my arms around too much. Went back to the boat at an average depth of 2m so I was already doing it in the first hour or so.
The water was very clear and their were loads of fish swimming in and out of the coral - no big fauna unfortunately but i've been told you have to go to Thailand for that (moray eels seem to be the nastiest predators in these sites ) but absolutely beautiful nonetheless and the sensation of staying underneath the water for so long is very pleasant indeed.
After a brief break we headed to another site, a little bit less interesting (more sand, less coral) where we went over other skills and then I went for a snorkel - all in all, very fun day. I haven't paid for the course yet, which is kind of strange - most places are so adament about paying before they even confirm something - i've got their books and my free t-shirt and i've done a days lessons and they don't even have a deposit. I'm not planning on skipping town on them but they should be aware that if I wanted to ... I could.
Tomorrow i'm to go down to 12m, which will be my first proper dive - it's all a bit exciting.
Nha Trang, at least the area that i'm in, is a DIVE town, everywhere is selling dive trips and there ar dozens of operators and schools along the main street. Last night when I wandered around aimlessly for ages trying to find somewhere to eat I saw the bars full of people wearing company t-shirts and polo shirt - all like little armies - having not been to a dive town before it reminded me a lot of Queenstown in NZ - lots of instructors here for the season, lots of young people (many dressed far too trendily for my liking - we're supposed to be TRAVELLING, people!), lots of stupid adventure things on the beach (para-gliding, jetski, etc) and drinks priced way beyond what i've become accustomed to (not anywhere near oz prices but high for Vietnam).
PS - Also seemed to shred my feet doing a Nha Trang beach run today - half of it is sand (albeit disgustingly polluted with cigarette buts, beer bottle caps and plastic) and the other half seems to be gravel - - very painful.

No comments: