Saturday 13 August 2005

Next Stop ... ???

11 August - Am currently in a train making my way to the next destination. Took a minibus from Pai back to Chang Mai and had a hamburger and chips for lunch (personally, I don't see the problem with this because I eat plenty of Thai food when I'm at home) before spending too much on a replacement set of sandles and too much on a tuk tuk to the train station. I'll probably end up paying too much for my meal on this train and too much for transport to my next leg but what are you going to do, it's still pretty cheap.
One of the attendants (waiter? Chef??? I don't know) is a fucking pest. He keeps on coming up to me trying to get me to buy beer. I said i'd have one with the meal and he brought the wrong one (a big one) it to me 10m later; he was just about to open it when I realised it was meant for me and I stopped him. He's come back about three times since and won't bugger off. He just brought me one now so I presume the food is coming; have seen some of it go past it looks a bit too much like hospital food for my liking ... Although the snack on the train last time was okay i'm still not looking forward to the culinary treats on this leg.
12 August - Very unpleassant night's sleep. The sleeping bed is actually quite cute - an attendant wearing a doctor's mask zooms through pulling the top bunkdown and converting the seats into beds. However, as I may have mentioned before my colossal frame is just too big for Thai sleeping accommodation and I was scrunched up into a ball. I would sleep for about 15m before I got uncomfortable and I would wake up and turn over, scrunch up again and sleep for another 15m.
Also, the food is terible - the soup with dinner was okay but they gladwrap all the food bfore bringing it to you making it really sweaty and it's just warm by the time it makes it. They definitely cook it on the train and I suppose it's necessary to prevent it from being thrown all over the place but my breakfast was just inedible. I miss my Adobaya Café in Pai so much ... real bread and fresh food and the cutest waitress on five continents. Now i've got sweaty eggs, rubber ham and a f**king pest who pretends not to understand what i'm saying.

No comments: