Saturday 20 August 2005

Traveller's Disease

20 August - When I arrived at Hoi An I knew something was wrong. Not the most pleasant topic of conservation but I felt that I just have not been getting enough fibre on this trip - so certain bodily functions are not as they might have been in Australia. However, yesterday I knew that I'd moved on to something that was not diet related. I was feeling a bit shivery and I found myself running to the toilet every 10m or so - I was supposed to meet Megan (the Australian girl from Hue) for dinner at 730 but I quickly came to the conclusion that this was not to be. Got directions to a pharmacy from the hotel and made my way down - the pharmacy's here (unlike home and even most places in Thailand) are not staffed by pharmacists it seems. I gave them a list of a few drugs recommended from LP and they eventually found some - they gave me the instructions so that I could decide which ones I needed. I prefer to have an expert tell me but I eventually settled on Nifuroxazide - I then struggled to the restaurant where I was to meet Megan and left a note for her before finding my way back to the hotel where I tried to go to sleep.
Certainly the worst night of my holiday thus far - I was exhausted but unable to sleep, sometimes I'd be up every 2m to go to the toilet, other times I'd go about an hour. Felt myself hallucinating about Narnia for a couple of hours - then having bizarre dreams about being at home and the clock moved so slowly ... My bed was completely soaked in sweat and despite drinking as much as I could throughout the night I feel completely dehydrated. I first had the symptoms yesterday morning so it's only been about 24 hours but already I can see myself looking a lot thinner - the only advantage is that it's making me look really ripped.
Not sure where I picked up the bug from - the other night at Uyen's place I had a beer with ice in it - he told me that he boiled the water first but you never know, it really could be anywhere though. Hygiene is not a priority in this country - I ordered a lemonade with ice yesterday and the woman took a hunk of ice, chopped off a smaller piece then washed it in a bucket of water (which didn't look like it had been sterilised) before putting it in my drink. If that happened once - it probably happens all the time and I obviously just got unlucky.
Am feeling really awful but I know I should eat something so am going to go for a wander in a bit - hopefully will not be out of commission too long. Do have to admit, i'm very glad that my illness happened here rather than in Ha Noi (despite it being packed full of foreigners and having a name that is an Anagram of Ha Noi, Hoi An seems much more pleasant from what I've seen thus far).

No comments: